Skip to main content

Letter to an old friend

You'd love it here. You'd love the 90s music, the hipsters, the chipper servers and the rustic decor, with the exposed pipes and unfinished wood. You'd enjoy the artisenal coffee and the British history documentary projected on the back wall. You'd get a real kick out of the guys in hoodies with their headphones on, and the girls in newscaps, with their laptops that have the funky designs. I could picture you paying particular attention to the older lady with the chic reading glasses, perusing the newspaper that's sprawled all over her table.
I miss sharing moments and people watching with you. It makes me even more sad that we can't share the big life stuff as it happens, because we're so awesome at it. I miss being with you every day. It's so hard to live in this new reality characterized by distance and separation, where there was once intimate closeness.
I feel like I take you with me everywhere I go. You're always on my mind. You're always in my heart. You've become a part of me, not a memory. To forget you would be like tearing out a vital organ from my body and expecting to keep on living. It isn't possible and no one in their right mind would want to.
They say it passes. They say it gets easier. Tine goes by and yet nothing changes. Perhaps people don't recover from love when there was no heartbreak. Perhaps people aren't meant to move on from friendships that transformed their lives for the better. It makes no sense to diminish that which has enriched you.
Times like these you just watch your heart grow bigger, your eyes get wider and the only thing you can do is say 'thank you'. You always remember. You always rejoice. You wish only the best, you hope for the best, you dream in more colour. You allow the world to continue, alive with the knowledge of the magic that one person can bring into your soul. Those who are there in the darkest of times are the light, and the light burns eternally inside you. The only thing you can do is bring all that love to the world, never losing sight of the beauty that created it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The angry woman

I am the angry woman I'm bleeding white-hot rage My fury of tears will drown you You should all feel afraid.  My tongue is poised for lashing My feet are here to crush My lungs are filled with fire I cannot stop the rush. My skin is scalding ashes  Of a burning, ember heart My words beat down like hail My screams are lightning darts. Watch me drink the poison And wait for you to die I am the angry woman But you all think I lie. 

You

You give me something no one else can give You make me brave So that I think We could make something out of this Life could be so beautiful But I shouldn't think like this And yet, I've never felt so seen So thoroughly understood You meet me where I stand And lead me to a higher ground Just by being you. Your gaze pierces through me You unearth me. I trust in every word you breathe Your heart has earned my fealty It's sometimes hard to breathe When you're there beside me Thrilling but also comforting I lean into you so effortlessly I never worry anymore If I'm choosing right Or thinking straight You're the best bet I could ever make I like you on the inside as much as out I like your heart, your mind, your actions too I understand your pain I know about your fears I see the broken parts that you try to hide I've never cared like this Not really on the inside I'm selfless now and unafraid Finally - I know how it feels to lov...

The others

I only change for those who let me But they're too quick to forget me Already out the door As I want to give them more I'm only as happy as I choose But everyone tries to make me They're always trying to please me Instead of telling me what's wrong Am I too sentimental?  I don't ask too much.  Do I sound too certain?  They worry I will get resentful.  All the things they ask of me When in the end, I let it be I've never been one for convincing But they all say I'm a charmer It's only because I run warmer Than what they knew before I don't fake my emotions I'm no manipulator And if you got to know me,  You'd see I'm not a taker I don't fight, I won't fight I just laugh and I cry And I try real hard To make it look I'm alive.  Maybe I hide too much They can never tell my bluff I'm not misunderstood The moment they get me They're not sure if they should. Hope by hope I drip away Fading colour on my lips One by one I lose ...