Skip to main content

Conscious parenting

My #1 job is parenting. I try to do it consciously, with the intent of raising a successful, loveable, mindful, and self-sufficient adult. As such, I do not place my own need for control above my daughter's moral development. To ask a child to obey your command without question in order to receive your praise or avoid punishment is the equivalent of conditional love. And I love her unconditionally.
It may take longer to get to "yes", it may involve asking questions instead of issuing orders, it may be providing more choices, it may mean giving her language to identify and express difficult emotions instead of reacting to them, and negotiating limits instead of setting them on my own...

Is this draining on me? Sure! But 20 years from now, this child will have had a secure attachment from which to draw strength and life skills.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The others

I only change for those who let me But they're too quick to forget me Already out the door As I want to give them more I'm only as happy as I choose But everyone tries to make me They're always trying to please me Instead of telling me what's wrong Am I too sentimental?  I don't ask too much.  Do I sound too certain?  They worry I will get resentful.  All the things they ask of me When in the end, I let it be I've never been one for convincing But they all say I'm a charmer It's only because I run warmer Than what they knew before I don't fake my emotions I'm no manipulator And if you got to know me,  You'd see I'm not a taker I don't fight, I won't fight I just laugh and I cry And I try real hard To make it look I'm alive.  Maybe I hide too much They can never tell my bluff I'm not misunderstood The moment they get me They're not sure if they should. Hope by hope I drip away Fading colour on my lips One by one I lose ...

The angry woman

I am the angry woman I'm bleeding white-hot rage My fury of tears will drown you You should all feel afraid.  My tongue is poised for lashing My feet are here to crush My lungs are filled with fire I cannot stop the rush. My skin is scalding ashes  Of a burning, ember heart My words beat down like hail My screams are lightning darts. Watch me drink the poison And wait for you to die I am the angry woman But you all think I lie. 

You

You give me something no one else can give You make me brave So that I think We could make something out of this Life could be so beautiful But I shouldn't think like this And yet, I've never felt so seen So thoroughly understood You meet me where I stand And lead me to a higher ground Just by being you. Your gaze pierces through me You unearth me. I trust in every word you breathe Your heart has earned my fealty It's sometimes hard to breathe When you're there beside me Thrilling but also comforting I lean into you so effortlessly I never worry anymore If I'm choosing right Or thinking straight You're the best bet I could ever make I like you on the inside as much as out I like your heart, your mind, your actions too I understand your pain I know about your fears I see the broken parts that you try to hide I've never cared like this Not really on the inside I'm selfless now and unafraid Finally - I know how it feels to lov...