Skip to main content

The little things...

Way back when I had my first encounter with spirituality, I was inspired by the words of a young man who seemed to me, at the time, much too smart for the amount of religiosity he subscribed to. But he won me over with these words: "If you do the ordinary things exceptionally well, imagine how you will do the very big things." That was tangible to me. I understood excellence. As a chronic overachiever, who always wanted to do more, I stopped to think briefly that maybe I just had to do things better. My perfectionist side took this to an extreme and I obsessed over every little mistake I was to make in the coming years, but that led me to a number of other encounters, challenges, tests and lessons that brought me closer to the truth.
Now, older, hopefully wiser, but infinitesimally more compassionate and enlightened, I understand this to mean being mindful in all the small tasks of the day, as they contribute to your overall successes. The more you can master responding out of love, and completing mundane tasks with joy, the more attention you can pay to the mere act of making a bed, the more present, alive and connected you are, to the universe and those all around you.
So if I had to describe my religion to anyone nowadays, I would say:
I believe we are all connected, we are all one - we must interact with love and kindness.
I believe our souls know the truth of the purpose of life - we must become more still and mindful to hear the call.
I believe we must cultivate strengths and habits, like courage and commitment - so we can fulfill our destiny and never be afraid to do the work and make the changes necessary to achieve our potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The others

I only change for those who let me But they're too quick to forget me Already out the door As I want to give them more I'm only as happy as I choose But everyone tries to make me They're always trying to please me Instead of telling me what's wrong Am I too sentimental?  I don't ask too much.  Do I sound too certain?  They worry I will get resentful.  All the things they ask of me When in the end, I let it be I've never been one for convincing But they all say I'm a charmer It's only because I run warmer Than what they knew before I don't fake my emotions I'm no manipulator And if you got to know me,  You'd see I'm not a taker I don't fight, I won't fight I just laugh and I cry And I try real hard To make it look I'm alive.  Maybe I hide too much They can never tell my bluff I'm not misunderstood The moment they get me They're not sure if they should. Hope by hope I drip away Fading colour on my lips One by one I lose ...

The angry woman

I am the angry woman I'm bleeding white-hot rage My fury of tears will drown you You should all feel afraid.  My tongue is poised for lashing My feet are here to crush My lungs are filled with fire I cannot stop the rush. My skin is scalding ashes  Of a burning, ember heart My words beat down like hail My screams are lightning darts. Watch me drink the poison And wait for you to die I am the angry woman But you all think I lie. 

You

You give me something no one else can give You make me brave So that I think We could make something out of this Life could be so beautiful But I shouldn't think like this And yet, I've never felt so seen So thoroughly understood You meet me where I stand And lead me to a higher ground Just by being you. Your gaze pierces through me You unearth me. I trust in every word you breathe Your heart has earned my fealty It's sometimes hard to breathe When you're there beside me Thrilling but also comforting I lean into you so effortlessly I never worry anymore If I'm choosing right Or thinking straight You're the best bet I could ever make I like you on the inside as much as out I like your heart, your mind, your actions too I understand your pain I know about your fears I see the broken parts that you try to hide I've never cared like this Not really on the inside I'm selfless now and unafraid Finally - I know how it feels to lov...